The Institute of the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Reparatrix- Ggogonya (IHMR) HISTORY
The Institute of the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Reparatrix- Ggogonya (IHMR), is of a diocesan rite and was founded in 1927 with inspiration of the Holy Spirit by Archbishop Henri Streicher (WF), Sr. Maria Majella Nambi and Archbishop Louis Joseph Cabana (WF). In 1948, it was elevated to its canonical status.
The Holy Spirit inspired Archbishop Streicher to have a Contemplative Religious Congregation whose members, leading holy lives pleasing to God, would obtain graces for the conversion of sinners through unceasing intercession and contemplation.
The Institute centers on the spirituality of reparation / restitution as was realized by our founders. The Holy Spirit reveals God’s passion and compassion to all humanity by allowing IHMR members to cooperate freely in the work of Christ the Reparator par excellence who seeks to restore the graced relationship between the Father and all creation
We appreciate the response, each of the three founders made to the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, inviting them to address the evil of racial discrimination and thus pave way for the suffering natives to be restored to the true human dignity of the sons and daughters of God.
The Church is calling us to cooperate with Christ in the realization of the kingdom of God as it is supposed to be. In today’s theology when the Church talks about restoring the social order, it uses the term restitution to mean reparation. We are called to live the spirituality of restitution which is truly in restoring what really belongs to the poor but deprived of them due to the social sin. It means bringing back what was taken away from them yet gratuitously given by God, for example, dignity.
Through contemplative prayer, daily adoration of the exposed Blessed Sacrament and through evangelization in different ministries such as education, health and social work, paying special attention to women and children, we serve the people of God as an Institute.
Today the Institute has 320 members and we are mainly serving in different dioceses in Uganda, Algeria, Germany and United States of America. Our Motherhouse is in Kisubi – Ggogonya Kampala Archdiocese.